Mouth is a mirror of systemic disease; It is the oral medicine specialist who addresses these situations where a systemic disease is connected with typical oral manifestations. The field of Oral Medicine, Diagnosis and Dento maxillofacial Radiology encompasses a wide scope of application in the field of diagnosis and management of Oral and Maxillofacial disorders.
Oral Medicine and Radiology is the department where the patient is received first with a soothing reception. Right from the inception of the college, the department takes the pride of addressing the highest number of outpatients probably amongst all the dental colleges in the state and beholds the care of the patients and ensures that best care is provided to the concerned patient.
There is a special focus on patients possessing deleterious habits such as long term tobacco usage where they are examined to detect and diagnose Oral pre-cancer / cancer changes of oral cavity at an infant stage and evolve treatment immediately to improve the longevity and quality of life. Adding to it, emphasis is also made on diagnosis and management of TMD & Orofacial pain where the department holds a separate oro-facial pain clinic.
The department is spread over an area of 6,685 sq. ft. with separate undergraduate and postgraduate sections. The oral and maxillofacial radiology section is equipped with 3 conventional Intra oral units with digital compatibility and also the advanced imaging modality, RadioVisioGraphy. Apart from these, the radiology section also comprises panoramic and cephalometric radiography along with a full body X-ray unit attached with a digital printer. The department also possesses the state of the art – LAN connection which conveys the digital radiographic images to the concerned department.
Adding an edge to it, the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology takes the pride of establishing the most advanced and revolutionary imaging modality in Dentistry – Cone Beam Computed Tomography (CBCT) where it can change the fate of diagnosis and treatment plan. This increases the scope of research activity and it is not astonishing that the department is going to be a pioneer in 3D conceptual imaging and diagnosis in the near future.
- To provide that education to the students which will facilitate them to serve the community; bound to ethics.
- To provide conceptual 3D diagnostic imaging which will enable the students with par excellence in the field of Dento-maxillofacial Radiology.
- To substantiate the profession of dental medicine to enhance the overall health of an individual especially in the field of chronic head, face and neck pain.
- To evolve into a quality hub for centre of excellence.
- To provide a more integrative road map by incorporating medical and dental fraternity in diagnosing the disease ailment and work united for the overall health and well-being of patients.
- To promote and implement Evidence based/ problem based teaching curriculum.
- To withhold and upgrade accordingly to continue as a standard referral centre for various oral and maxillofacial disorders.
With the collaboration of Tufts University, Boston, USA, the department of Oral Medicine and Maxillofacial radiology has stretched its wings to create new horizons in the field of research and has organized a state wide CDE programme, “SAMVID” as an initiative to encourage the budding and senior professionals from the various fields of dental specialties to integrate with medical science in the field of Sleep Apnoea.
The department runs post graduate, MDS course with an intake of 5 students per year since 2009. The department is credited to have Ph.D. recognition centre in the specialization of Oral Medicine and Radiology; recognized by Dr. NTR UHS, Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh with eminent and dedicated faculty.