- The department of Oral medicine & radiology is committed to excellence in teaching, research, and patient care. The specialty highlights the dentist’s role as a diagnostician to recognise oral health problems in the context of overall health status. Assessment of patients’ overall health and its impact on oral health care, identification of various problems affecting teeth and supporting structures, understanding and identifying oral mucosal and salivary gland disorders, temporomandibular disorders, orofacial neurological and chronic pain disorders, oral manifestations of systemic diseases, and dental management of patients with complex medical problems and disabilities are all part of the department’s curriculum.
- There is a special focus on patients possessing deleterious habits and various types of tobacco usage where they are examined to detect and diagnose potentially malignant / malignant changes of oral cavity at an early stage and Vishnu dental college serves as tertiary centre for non surgical management of oro-mucosal lesions to improve the longevity and quality of life. Patient’s data is entered in Vaidhyo, which is a customized Electronic Medical Record (EMR) developed for the institute which makes information available instantly and securely to authorized users. This system facilitates workflow; improves the quality of patient care and documentation of the work which in turn facilitates research.
- Oral and maxillofacial radiology department provides fully digitized radiology services which include intraoral, panoramic, skull views and 3D imaging (cone-beam computed tomography) which increase the diagnostic accuracy. The transmission of digital radiographic images to end users is accomplished by uploading them in Vaidhyo. The Department takes pride of establishing the most advanced and revolutionary imaging modality in Dentistry – Cone Beam Computed Tomography (CBCT) where it can change the fate of diagnosis and treatment plan. These services can be availed by patients of Vishnu dental college and those referred from outside providers. Faculties from the Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Radiology also provide radiographic interpretation for the scans. This imaging modality increases the scope of research activity and it is not astonishing that the department is going to be a pioneer in 3D conceptual imaging and diagnosis in the near future. .
- To provide quality education which would help to diagnose & medical management of oral and maxillofacial disorders to the dental students that will facilitate them to serve the community.
- To provide conceptual 2D & 3D diagnostic imaging this will enable the students to excel in the field of Oral Radiology.
- To provide a more integrative road map by incorporating medical and dental fraternity in diagnosing the disease ailment and work united for the overall health and well-being of patients.
- To promote and implement Evidence based/ problem based teaching curriculum.
The department runs post graduate, MDS course with an intake of 5 students per year since 2009. The department is credited to have Ph.D. recognition centre in the specialization of Oral Medicine and Radiology; recognized by Dr. NTR UHS, Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh with eminent and dedicated faculty.